The Account Executive is in charge of managing current client relationships as well as generating new leads and closing sales. They use current best practices to reach out to prospective clients, nurture the relationships with current clients, and improve customer satisfaction and retention to meet sales quotas.
View the free example Account Executive job description template below.
Account Executive Job Description Template
Our company is looking to hire an experienced, high-performing Account Executive to join our team. You should have proven sales experience and a commitment to excellent customer service. You will be maintaining our existing customer accounts and working to extend our reach to new clients. Our ideal candidate will be friendly, dynamic, and able to resolve customer complaints and issues in a way that preserves the company’s reputation and ensures customer satisfaction.
The successful Account Executive applicant will have strong verbal and written communication skills, with experience negotiating and leading team members. You should have a good understanding of marketing and advertising trends, and be comfortable networking and cold calling to generate new leads and close customer contracts. You will be using automation tools to track progress toward goals; experience with a CRM like Salesforce is advantageous. You should be analytical and able to multitask, as you will be analyzing data to predict trends while you nurture leads and expand our client base.
Account Executive Responsibilities
- Educate customers about our business solutions
- Cold call
- Generate new leads
- Prospect accounts
- Close customer contracts
- Generate new sales
- Use sales (such as Salesforce) software and automation tools to report goals and track progress
- Analyze consumer needs
- Develop innovative solutions
- Manage team members
- Facilitate collaboration in the workplace
- Create detailed business plans to meet goals
- Present products to prospective clients and communicate their value
- Negotiate agreements
- Keep records of sales information
- Respond to customer complaints and resolve issues to ensure customer satisfaction
- Preserve the company reputation in the event of any issues
- Improve client retention
- Form sales strategies and set sales quotas
- Follow up with prospective clients throughout the sales cycle
- Ensure client needs are being met
- Compile and analyze data to find trends
- Nurture relationships with internal departments and external contacts
- Maintain a database of client information
Account Executive Requirements
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience negotiating
- Strong problem-solving abilities
- Knowledge of current marketing and advertising trends and current best practices
- Knowledge of market research, negotiating, and sales
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in MS Office suite, including PowerPoint and Excel
- Proficient in CRM software (Salesforce)
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to network and build relationships
- Organizational skills
- Time management skills
- Proven business acumen
- Deep understanding of business sales processes
Account Executive FAQ
Am I able to alter the job description for my Account Executive posting?
You can and should customize our sample Account Executive job description as needed for your posting. This Account Executive job description is meant to be a template. We encourage you to update the duties, responsibilities, and requirements in your posting to reflect the skills and traits required by your company for your ideal Account Executive.
What information should I include in a job posting for an Account Executive?
Use our Account Executive template to start, and add any additional information about the requirements or duties that are specific to what your company will need from a successful candidate. Some fields may require additional licenses or certifications; be sure to include them in your job posting if necessary. When writing your job posting, be aware of the alternate job titles that potential applicants may be searching for, such as Senior Account Executive, Business Account Executive, Sales Account Executive, and Sr. Account Executive.
Do you have any sample interview questions for an Account Executive applicant?
We have sample interview questions for all of our job descriptions.
After you have finished creating a job posting for an Account Executive that suits your company, have a look at our list of sample Account Executive interview questions.