Art Directors are responsible for the visual design elements of ad campaigns, working with other members of the art department to create a campaign that will meet the client or company’s needs. Art Directors create targeted, branded marketing campaigns through the use of creative artistic design elements.
View the free example Art Director job description template below.
Art Director Job Description Template
We are looking for a talented Art Director who can collaborate with artistic people on unique ad campaigns directed at the target audiences and isn’t afraid of working in a fast-paced environment. You will be supervising the rest of the staff in the art department, working closely to set project goals and constraints, and researching the desired demographic and current trends. You will be responsible for the design of the visual aspects of the ad campaign, from the initial stages all the way to the final client presentation.
Our ideal candidate will be highly creative and possess excellent interpersonal skills and time management skills. You should have previous experience with graphic design projects and software. A Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Marketing, or a related field is required. The successful candidate will have previous experience supervising or managing staff and working with a marketing team. You should have a portfolio of completed design projects that showcase your abilities.
Art Director Responsibilities
- Develop strategies for projects
- Work with the company or client to evaluate their needs, set goals, give updates, and present their final ad campaign
- Research brand objectives
- Research target markets
- Understand industry trends
- Hire, train, and supervise design staff
- Work with other departments on campaigns
- Establish campaign budgets
- Establish campaign timelines
- Determine which artwork, photographs, or other design elements to use on a campaign
- Create storyboards, sketches, mock-ups, and art layouts of potential designs
- Oversee the work of other design staff
- Present drafts to the client or company
- Receive feedback from clients or the company on campaigns
Art Director Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Marketing, or a related field
- 5+ years experience managing or supervising staff
- Experience working in or closely with a marketing team
- Proficient with graphic design software such as InDesign, Photoshop, or Illustrator
- Highly motivated
- Portfolio of previous graphic design experience including logo design, web layout design, package design, typography, print production, color, and image selection
- Excellent time management
- Comfortable with presenting to both internal and external teams
- Strong project management skills
- Able to work under tight deadlines
Art Director Job Description FAQ
Am I able to customize the Art Director job description?
Our Art Director job description template is meant to be used as a sample job posting. Edit our sample in any way you need, making sure to add any additional skills, training, knowledge, experience, education, or traits you need will from an ideal Art Director applicant.
What other job titles could be used in place of Art Director?
Other possible job titles for an Art Director could be a Creative Director or Digital Art Director.
What information should I include in my job posting for an Art Director?
When you are creating your job posting for an Art Director, include any additional qualifications or requirements that may be unique to your company. If there are any responsibilities your company will need your Art Director to handle that are not listed in our template, be sure to include them in your job posting.
Could you share any sample interview questions for Art Director interviews?
We have sample interview questions for each one of our job descriptions. After you have finished creating your job posting for an Art Director, have a look at our list of sample questions that you can ask Art Director applicants in an interview.
Email this template: