Civil Engineers are responsible for designing, constructing, and managing construction projects. These projects could be roads, airports, railways, power plants, harbours, dams, buildings, bridges, tunnels, irrigation projects, water supply systems, and sewage treatment systems. They must ensure that regulations and legislations are adhered to onsite. View our example Civil Engineer job description template below.
Civil Engineer Job Description Template
We are seeking an innovative, experienced Civil Engineer who is capable of managing our projects from conception all the way to completion. You will be responsible for planning, designing, and overseeing the construction of a number of projects. It will be up to you to evaluate potential risks and ensure that all guidelines, regulations, and legislations are being followed.
The ideal candidate will have a BS or MA in Civil Engineering and their professional engineer license. We expect applicants to have previous experience in a supervisor position, acting as a mentor, collaborating with stakeholders, and balancing a budget. If you also have a strong understanding of visual and design software programs, we would like to hear from you.
Civil Engineer Responsibilities
- Conduct onsite investigations
- Analyze the data from maps, tests, reports, and drawings
- Draw up detailed blueprints that will satisfy the necessary technical specifications
- Conduct feasibility studies
- Perform soil tests to determine the strength of foundations
- Conduct tests on building materials
- Perform surveying operations to determine grading and elevations
- Oversee staff
- Act as a mentor for the rest of the staff
- Collaborate with stakeholders
- Liaise with architects
- Work closely with subcontractors
- Provide advice and creative solutions for any problems or deficiencies that arise
- Schedule purchases and deliveries of equipment and supplies
- Evaluate potential risks
- Conduct environmental impact studies and report on results
- Report on current project status
- Manage the budget
- Calculate the cost of labor, materials, and any other related costs
- Purchase necessary equipment and materials
- Comply with all relevant guidelines and regulations regarding safety and permits
- Deliver any files and documentation
- Study the project concepts, architectural drawings, and any models
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local legal regulations
- Study the existing and new legislations
Civil Engineer Requirements
- BS or MA degree in Civil Engineering
- Professional engineer license
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Project management skills
- Previous experience in a supervisor position
- Excellent math skills
- Proficient in site layout, utility design, grading, and erosion control
- Extensive experience using design and visualizations programs such as AutoCAD, Autodesk, MicroStation, or Civil 3D
- Clear written correspondence abilities
- Able to solve complex problems as they arise
- Strong decision-making and leadership skills
- Knowledge of software for map creation
- Excellent time management skills
- Highly organized
- Able to multitask and manage more than one project at a time
Civil Engineer Job Description FAQ
Am I able to change the Civil Engineer job description at all?
The Civil Engineer job description we have is meant to be used as a template. Feel free to edit and alter it as needed to create a job posting for your ideal Civil Engineer.
What other job titles could be used in place of Civil Engineer?
Other possible job titles for a Civil Engineer could be a Junior Civil Engineer, a Permitting and Licensing Civil Engineer, or a Project Engineer.
What information should be included in my job posting for a Civil Engineer?
When you write your own job posting for a Civil Engineer, make sure to include any additional requirements and responsibilities that may be unique to your company.
Is there a list of sample interview questions I can ask our Civil Engineer applicants?
We have a list of sample interview questions for all of our job descriptions. After you have finished creating a job posting for a Civil Engineer, have a look at our list of sample questions that you can ask Civil Engineer applicants in an interview.