Creative directors work closely with teams from copywriting, design, sales, and marketing to create advertising materials for clients or the company.
They oversee and give guidance to the creative teams under them to create a cohesive branding to all material. Creative directors must be able to multitask and complete projects within tight deadlines and budgets.
They often meet with clients, many creative teams, and upper management, so strong interpersonal skills are essential.
View the free example Creative Director job description template below.
Creative Director Job Description Template
Our growing company is seeking a creative director who can work with our sales, marketing, and creative teams to produce marketing material and meet company goals while working under tight deadlines and strict budgets. You will be leading brainstorming sessions to develop creative ideas and marketing strategies, then pitching these ideas in a presentation. Your tasks include assigning team members to projects, overseeing the work done by layout, design, and copywriting teams, and revising or approving their work before presenting it.
A successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or a creative field, with at least five years of experience in managing a marketing or creative team. Previous experience in copywriting, design, or another creative field is required. You should know how to use Adobe Creative Suite programs, be able to inspire and lead teams of people, and keep up with current trends and best practices in advertising and marketing across multiple channels, both online and offline. Whether a project succeeds or fails, you need to be able to take responsibility for the results and analyze what went well and what did not.
Creative Director Responsibilities:
- Analyze trends
- Develop new ideas for branding, advertising, and marketing campaigns
- Make decisions regarding final copy and final design
- Meet with clients to discuss the creative angle of projects and get approval on final work
- Meet with management
- Consistently complete projects within deadlines
- Lead brainstorming sessions to generate creative ideas
- Direct layout, copywriting, and design
- Identify workflow areas that could be optimized
- Develop marketing strategies
- Revise or approve content and presentations
- Provide feedback to the creative teams on their work
- Manage content strategy
- Mentor and train subordinates
- Analyze campaign results and adjust marketing strategies accordingly
- Work with the marketing and sales departments to create marketing strategies that align with company goals
- Pitch concepts to clients and management
- Create visual marketing campaigns for both print and digital channels
- Oversee creative campaigns from start to finish
Ensure brand standards are met with each project
Creative Director Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or a creative field.
- 5-10 years of experience in a leadership role for a marketing or creative team.
- Background in copywriting, design, or related field.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Strong creative ability.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to take responsibility for a creative campaign, whether it is a success or a failure.
- Understanding of design, web, and copywriting best practices.
- Previous experience integrating content across all channels – digital, print, social media, and mobile.
- Ability to make quick decisions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to inspire creative teams
- Understanding of the current trends in advertising and marketing
- Expert time management skills and ability to work within tight deadlines.
- Excellent multitasking skills.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Proven success in managing a team of creative talent.
- Portfolio of previous design work.
- Strong presentation skills.
Creative Director FAQ
Can I customize your creative director job description template?
When you advertise for a creative director, you should include the creative director information that is relevant to your company. Edit or add to the creative director duties, responsibilities, and requirements to create a job description that meets your needs.
What information should be included when posting a creative director job?
Consider what your ideal creative director would do for your company, and include the skills and traits you would like your next creative director to have. Use our job description template as a starting point for your post, and edit and add to it as needed.
Do you have examples of interview questions for creative directors?
We have sample interview questions for each one of our job descriptions.
After you have created a creative director job description that fits your company needs, have a look at our creative director interview questions.