HR Managers (or Human Resources Managers) are responsible for developing, administrating, and communicating corporate policies and procedures, as well as coordinating human resources activities and programs.
As representatives of the corporate brand, HR Managers develop and oversee all programs that impact employee and organization relations.
Programs may include compensation, benefits administration, employee training and services, labor relations, terminations, recruitment, and hiring.
View the free example HR Manager job description template below.
HR Manager Job Description Template
Our growing company is seeking an experienced HR Manager to join our management team. In this role, you will act as the liaison between employees and the business, ensuring adherence to corporate policies and acting in the best interest of the entire organization. You will reinforce corporate values through the management of all human resources functions, including recruitment, performance management, talent development, facilities management, employee training programs, and benefits program administration.
Successful candidates must exhibit a high level of confidentiality with sensitive information, and possess active listening skills and the ability to negotiate resolutions between parties. Strong verbal and written communication skills are required, as is an ability to create compelling presentations and deliver them to audiences of varying sizes.
HR Manager Responsibilities
- Research and analyze salary reports and data to set compensation plans and pay scales
- Partner with corporate legal counsel to ensure compliance of employment practices with state and federal law.
- Stay abreast of, and inform leadership and teams of updates to employee policies and corporate standards
- Assess changing industry trends and communicate human resources best practices to corporate officers
- Represent the interests of the company in employee investigations or disciplinary procedures
- Advise management in the best course of action for employee discipline and reward programs
- Oversee office safety procedures and appoints safety liaisons within the organization
- Maintain a human resources system to manage employee and organization records and information with a high level of confidentiality
- Create and manage human resources budget
- Assist in the creation of job requisitions to fill open positions across the organization
- Recruit, screen and oversee the selection of candidates to fill open positions
- Coordinate leadership training for hiring, termination, performance review, sexual harassment, and other policies
- Manage relationships with external recruitment and staffing firms
- Develop and oversee new employee orientation and training programs
- Administer performance and salary review programs to retain and develop talent and ensure fair distribution of compensation and employee incentives
- Oversee and administer benefits programs, including medical insurance, life insurance, and pension plans, as well as vacation benefits and employee leave and assistance programs
- Draft and record employee termination notices and documentation
- Conduct exit interviews upon employee separations
- Make recommendations to reduce employee turnover
HR Manager Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management,
- Business Administration or a related field
- 5+ years of experience (or equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Candidates with PHR, SPHR, HRMP or other related certifications will be given higher consideration
- Able to balance both a people-focused and results-driven approach
- High level of confidentiality with sensitive information
- Experience working with HR systems and databases (SAP Success Factors, BambooHR, Zenefits, etc.)
- Extensive knowledge of employment law and HR best practice
- Ability to manage interpersonal relationships within all levels of the organization
- Exceptional listening, negotiating, presentation and public speaking skills
- Financial analysis and budgeting skills
- Experience creating and managing compensation and benefits programs
- A proven track record of recruiting, onboarding and developing exceptional talent
- An understanding of industry trends and pay scales
- Experience with effective conflict resolution and disciplinary procedures and investigations
HR Manager FAQ
Can I customize the HR Manager job description?
Job responsibilities and objectives vary from organization to organization. Use the above information as a reference point to tailor required skills and job duties to reflect the specific needs of your business.
Are there other possible job titles for an HR Manager?
In addition to the title of HR Manager, similar job titles may include HR Business Partner (HRBP), HR Success Manager, or HR Controller.
What information should I include in my job posting for an HR Manager?
As you use this template to build a candidate description, you may wish to include requirements for the specific systems and platforms used by your organization. You may also consider specific certifications or security requirements related to your particular industry and seek candidates with the necessary background to ensure compliance.
Do you have sample interview questions I can ask HR Manager candidates?
We have sample interview questions for all of our job descriptions.
After creating an HR Manager job posting that addresses your specific requirements, review our HR Manager interview questions.