Office Managers duties vary greatly from one company to the next. Many are responsible for overseeing all other administrative staff, and performing administrative duties such as greeting visitors, creating correspondence, managing schedules, and receiving incoming calls. Some office managers also manage billing and payroll.
View the free example Office Manager job description template below.
Office Manager Job Description Template
Our busy office is looking to hire an Office Manager who can provide excellent customer service and manage our office staff. You will be overseeing administrative personnel, supervising and training them, as well as delegating office assignments. You are responsible for maintaining office supplies and equipment inventory.
Successful candidates will be highly organized; you will be coordinating meetings, appointments, and travel arrangements based on staff schedules. Excellent computer and English skills are required to compose correspondence, draft contracts, and create presentations and reports. Applicants should have at least 5 years of previous experience in office administration, and a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
Office Manager Responsibilities
- Oversee administrative support and general office operation
- Greet visitors
- Answer a high volume of incoming phone calls
- Deliver excellent customer service
- Coordinate appointments
- Schedule meetings
- Manage staff calendars and schedules
- Develop billing and accounts payable procedures
- Supervise, mentor, train, and coach office staff
- Delegate office assignments to optimize productivity
- Coordinate travel arrangements – flight, hotel, car rentals, and reservations
- Manage office inventory and maintain proper stock levels
- Purchase office supplies and equipment
- Develop payroll procedures
- Produce reports
- Compose correspondence
- Draft new contracts
- Create presentations
- Develop filing procedures
- Establish and monitor record keeping procedures
- Develop scheduling procedures
- Improve client retention rates
- Solve scheduling conflicts as needed
- Plan expenditures
- Prepare the annual budget for the office
- Coordinate with IT support personnel on all office equipment and programs
- Ensure all invoices are paid on time
- Maintain relationships with vendors and service providers
- Continue to update technical and professional knowledge through educational workshops, industry publications, professional associations, and networking with fellow professionals
Office Manager Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 5 years experience in office administration
- Proven office management, administration, or assistant experience
- Excellent computer skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- High level of organization and planning abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Supply management experience
- Excellent time management skills
- Highly adaptable
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Able to work with little or no supervision
Office Manager FAQ
Can I customize the job description for Office Manager?
When you advertise an open position for an Office Manager, we encourage you to customize your Office Manager job description. Add any additional duties, responsibilities, and requirements to reflect the skills and traits required for an office manager at your company. Office manager duties vary widely between companies, so make sure you update your posting to accurately portray what you are seeking. Your company Office Manager may require additional specialized knowledge for your industry.
What other job titles could be used in place of Office Manager?
When posting a job listing for office manager, consider using other job titles that potential applicants may be searching for. These include Senior Office Administrator, Operations Manager, and Administrative Assistant.
What information should I include in a job posting for an Office Manager?
When you are creating your job listing, it should let candidates know what is required of Office Managers at your company. Use our Office Manager template to start, then add any additional requirements or duties that are specific to what your company will need from an ideal candidate.
What are some interview questions for an Office Manager?
We have a list of interview questions available for all of our job descriptions.
After you have finished creating your job posting for an Office Manager that will suit your company, have a look at our list of sample office manager interview questions.