A Sales Engineer combines sales experience with technical knowledge to sell products, services, or equipment and respond to client questions. Extensive product knowledge is required to educate clients on the product value.
Sales Engineer Job Description Template
Our company is looking to hire a Sales Engineer. You will be required to develop extensive product knowledge so as to offer technical support and education on our products, services, and equipment to clients. Collect and analyze customer data to discover areas that can improve customer satisfaction and drive results to meet sales quotas.
Successful candidates will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Business Administration, or a related field, with proven experience in sales, technology, and a supervisory position. Excellent verbal and written communications skills are essential for this position, as you will be meeting with customers, nurturing client relationships, liaising with colleagues from other departments, and collaborating with technical support staff. You must be willing and able to continually enhance your knowledge and training with workshops and conferences.
Sales Engineer Responsibilities
- Set sales goals and quotas
- Identify customer needs
- Engineer adaptations of our products, services, and equipment
- Identify areas that can improve customer satisfaction and increase repeat business
- Communicate sales issues and solutions to upper management
- Generate high-quality sales leads
- Follow up with prospective clients after initial sales meeting
- Work toward achieving sales goals and quotas
- Nurture customer relationships by recording client feedback
- Evaluate the client data received
- Create new sales and marketing strategies
- Learn the technical details about how our products work and what value they have for clients
- Establish a personal rapport with clients to better understand areas that need improvements
- Identify potential customers
- Plan and organize sales call schedules
- Provide product, service, or equipment technical and engineering information by answering client requests and questions
- Prepare cost estimates after studying plans, blueprints, and customer documents
- Consult with architects, engineers, and other technical and professional personnel
- Analyze cost-benefit ratios of equipment, supplies, or service applications
- Explain or demonstrate cost reductions and operations improvements to customers
- Confer with technical support staff
Provide technical information and training
- Comply with local, state, and federal legal requirements
- Study existing and new legislation
- Anticipate future legislation
- Advise customers on product, service, or equipment adherence to legal requirements
- Advise customers on needed actions regarding legal requirements
- Prepare sales engineering reports after collecting, analyzing, and summarizing all sales information as well as engineering and application trends
- Attend educational workshops
- Review professional publications
- Participate in professional societies to network with peers
- Establish personal networks to maintain professional and technical knowledge
- Identify short-term and long-term issues that must be addressed
- Recommend options and courses of action
- Collaborate with other sales personnel
- Liaise with colleagues from research and development, design, purchasing and production, and senior company managers
- Travel as needed to visit potential clients
- Negotiate contract terms
Provide pre-sales assistance and education
- Offer after-sales support services to clients
- Attend conferences, trade shows, and other marketing events
- Provide training and support material for members of the sales team
Sales Engineer Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing,
- Business Administration, or a related field
- Proven sales experience
- 10+ years of experience in the technology industry
- 4+ years of experience in a supervisory position
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Familiarity with project management solutions is an advantage
Sales Engineer FAQ
Can I customize the job description when I advertise for a Sales Engineer?
This Sales Engineer job description is meant to be a template. You can personalize our sample Sales Engineer job description as much as you need. You can update the responsibilities and requirements to include any additional skills, training, traits, and knowledge required by your company from your ideal Sales Engineer applicant.
What information should be included in my job posting for a Sales Engineer?
Use our template to start, and add any additional requirements or duties that are specific to what your company will need from a candidate.
What are some sample interview questions for a Sales Engineer applicant?
We have sample interview questions for all of our job descriptions.
After you have finished creating a job posting for a sales engineer that best suits your company needs, have a look at our list of sample interview questions for sales engineers.