UX Designers are knowledgeable in many areas, including psychology, design, and technology. They need to have a strong comprehension of both the user as well as the company’s goals. UX Designers use this knowledge to create a digital experience that feels intuitive and simple for the user, and will facilitate both the user’s and company’s goals.
View the free example UX Designer job description template below.
UX Designer Job Description Template
Our start-up company is looking to hire an ambitious, experienced User-Experience (UX) Designer with strong analytical skills. You will gather and evaluate potential user requirements, and address them in the navigation components and user interface graphics you design. You will conduct user research and analyze user behavior to create sitemaps, wireframes, mockups, customer journey maps, user flows, and prototypes that will achieve our business goals.
The ideal applicant will have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Design, or another relevant field. You should be a team player with excellent communication skills, and comfortable with presenting your design drafts to our internal teams as well as key stakeholders. Ideally, you have at least three years of previous experience as a UX Designer and a desire to resolve user pain points through intuitive user-centered design.
UX Designer Responsibilities
- Conduct a competitor analysis of other companies and websites in the same vertical
- Gather potential user requirements
- Evaluate user needs
- Create a customer analysis using our initial transactions and our target demographics
- Collaborate with both product managers and engineers
- Use storyboards, sitemaps, and process flows to illustrate design ideas
- Design graphic elements for user interface, including menus, widgets, and tabs
- Build navigation components for pages, buttons, and search fields
- Address client requirements
- Develop UI prototypes and mockups that will display site appearance and function
- Design unique graphics, including images, tables, and sketches
- Prepare and present design drafts to internal teams
- Present drafts to key stakeholders
- Identify and solve user experience problems such as usability and responsiveness
- Adhere to company brand style regarding colors, fonts, images, and other visual elements of design
- Conduct concept and usability testing to gather feedback
- Conduct usability tests
- Understand user psychology
- Adjust layout based on feedback from users
- Collaborate with UI designers on page routing and product page design
- Stay on top of industry trends and competitor products
- Create a content development strategy
- Track usability goals
- Resolve user pain points
UX Designer Requirements
- BSc in Design, Computer Science, Engineering, or another relevant field
- Excellent time-management skills
- Previous work experience as a UI Designer or UX Designer, or another similar role
- Excellent communication skills to work with internal teams, external partners, and clients
- Team player
- Expertise with design software such as Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, UXPin, Sketch, OmniGraffle, Axure, InVision, Framer, or Balsamiq
- Experience using wireframe tools such as Wireframe.cc and InVision
- Portfolio of previous design projects would be an asset
- Knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3
- Highly analytical
- Three or more years of UX Design experience
- Strong understanding of mobile-first and responsive design
- Experience with conducting user research, user testing, rapid prototyping, heuristic analysis, and A/B testing
- Able to take constructive criticism
UX Designer Job Description FAQ
Am I able to customize the UX Designer job description?
Absolutely. Our job description template is meant to serve as a sample. Feel free to edit any information as needed to create a job description with the responsibilities and requirements that your company needs from a UX Designer.
What information should I include in my job posting for a UX Designer?
Start with our template, then add any additional requirements or duties that may be unique to your company’s needs. Consider any knowledge, traits, training, or skills you will need from your ideal UX Designer applicant in addition to what is listed in our sample. If there is a particular design software your UX Designer will be working with, for example, be sure to list that in your job posting.
What are some interview questions
I can ask my UX Designer applicants?
We have sample interview questions for each one of our job descriptions. After you have finished putting together a job posting for a UX Designer that suits your needs, have a look at our sample interview questions for UX Designers.